You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘sahara’ category.
I think this turned out pretty darn good…
Pattern: Sahara by Wendy Bernard
Yarn: Ella Rae Bamboo Silk in Mocha (or Baby Plum)
Beads: Amethyst Silver Lined Beads 6/0, about 2.5-6″ tubes
Needles: Size US4 & US6 Addi Circulars
Mods: Added some short rows, or course
Oh Sahara. The diamond rib stitch pattern is gorgeous. And I’m soooo glad I added beads. They were a bit of a PITA to thread on and knit with, but they really made a huge difference. And I love how this required practically no seaming what so ever (only needed it to seam up the center panel). Top down knits are the bomb!!
The only thing I would go back and change about this is I accidentally knit the hem in the wrong size needles. It doesn’t look bad, but I noticed that it puckers a bit when I wear it, so I may eventually go back and rip that out and reknit on US4’s. The good news is that I won’t run out of yarn! I love how the sleeves are constructed with short rows, and how you can adjust how deep you want the neckline by how far up you seam up the center panel (had to seam mine up a bit far – didn’t want the ladies poking out too much!!).
I will say that I’m a bit worried with how much the Ella Rae Bamboo Silk will stretch. I think a little more length will be fine, but I can see how it would want to stretch a bit more, so we’ll see with wear. I was also worried about the color, but think it turned out fantastic, especially with the beads – without them the color would have definitely washed me out.
All around a fabulous knit.
I also knit up aHelmet Liner for my dad’s Christmas gift while on a business trip. Its a quick knit and I think he’ll love it!!
Yup, it hit me big again. I’ve currently got 5 projects on the needles, but hopefully will be finishing several by the end of the month, at least that is the plan. I decided that the Ruby Camp Shirt was just too tedious to devout all my attention on…all that laceweight knitting for a top was just making my head spin, and I needed something a bit easier to knit up. So I started Sahara:
Not much to look at right now, but I am past the armholes and about to start decreasing for the waist. I also just ordered beads for the project, and I hope they will be dark enough and the right size. I had a really hard time finding the right beads for the project, and still not sure if they will work, but we’ll see.
I also cast on for the Haruha scarf. I was first inspired by Elin when she did her’s…I had the scarf in my queue but really want to knit that puppy up when I saw her finished Haruha scarf. And I’ve always wanted to knit up some Jitterbug in the Ginger Cinnabar as soon as I saw it at my LYS (I would fondle it EVERY I isited the store, that and the Vincent’s Apron and Salty Dog colorways too), but the yardage is pretty paltry for my size 9 feet, and I like longer socks, so I thought what a perfect combination!! Its knitting up nicely so far:
I have another FO to report so I’ll be blogging about that soon…But right now I’ve got to get to my parents lakehouse for my mom’s birthday. Happy Memorial Day everyone!
I finished the Adult’s Only Kitty Hat over the weekend. I was going to make the Devil hat, but was feeling a bit more frisky rather than naughty when I got to the ears, so I switched it up 🙂 I started to panic thinking I wasn’t going to have enough yarn, but luckily I squeaked by with just enough! I ended up using some yarn I had frogged and thought I wouldn’t need. I did learn a very valuable lesson – never throw away frogged yarn! Anyway, here she is:
Sorry its so dark…I tried to lighten it up a bit with my photo editor. This was my first attempt at a hat, and using DPN’s, so I thought it turned out pretty cute. It’s also a bit big, and then I remembered that I have a small head, so I’ll have to knit smaller next time. I also mastered continental knitting with this project, which I’m thrilled about. Seed stitch and regular purling and knitting is so much faster with continental. I will say that I find it much harder to k2tog and knit an I-cord with continental, so I’ll stick with regular old English style for that…I haven’t taken a photo of myself in this hat yet cause I look like crap today, but will at some point.
I also cast on the Trio Knit Tote Bag last night. I originally cast onto the size US11 24″ circular needles recommended in the pattern, but found that it was too loose for my liking. I think that’s mainly because I was knitting continental, as that tends to be looser anyway. So I moved down to US10 circs. I also found that the number of cast-on stitches wasn’t enough for me, not sure why exactly, but I was having trouble joining the piece, so I cast on an additional 20 (99 total). Plus I would like a bigger bag for my knitting :-p I think I might make this bag a bit deeper than the pattern calls for, which will of course require a buy more yarn! Trio by Crystal Palace is so much fun to knit with.
Buying yarn off the Internet is addictive. I’ve had to stop myself on several occasions where I have added yarn to my cart, then realized I already have 3 projects in the works, with another 2 ready to go, so I don’t need any more! I’ve decided I’ll buy yarn for a project with every (or every other) paycheck . Now that I have that out of the way, I did order Reynold’s Lopi Light in Navy for Lelah. That will be my first shirt/tank/sweater of any kind to knit for myself, so pray for me. I also wanted to purchase yarn for Sahara, but Tilli Thomas was waaaaay to expensive (but gorgeous!!), so I think I’ll go with Jaggerspun Zephyr DK, like this knitter has done which turned out gorgeous! I’m thinking Ruby, and I’ll probably bead it myself, just to be cost effective.
And last but not least, I bought some fabric to line my Striped bamboo Handle Bag from Joanne’s over the weekend. I found it in the “Fabric Remnant” bin – Basic Classic Twill in an off-white/cream. I’ll try and finish that up this weekend.