You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘hat’ category.
I think this turned out pretty darn good…
Pattern: Sahara by Wendy Bernard
Yarn: Ella Rae Bamboo Silk in Mocha (or Baby Plum)
Beads: Amethyst Silver Lined Beads 6/0, about 2.5-6″ tubes
Needles: Size US4 & US6 Addi Circulars
Mods: Added some short rows, or course
Oh Sahara. The diamond rib stitch pattern is gorgeous. And I’m soooo glad I added beads. They were a bit of a PITA to thread on and knit with, but they really made a huge difference. And I love how this required practically no seaming what so ever (only needed it to seam up the center panel). Top down knits are the bomb!!
The only thing I would go back and change about this is I accidentally knit the hem in the wrong size needles. It doesn’t look bad, but I noticed that it puckers a bit when I wear it, so I may eventually go back and rip that out and reknit on US4′s. The good news is that I won’t run out of yarn! I love how the sleeves are constructed with short rows, and how you can adjust how deep you want the neckline by how far up you seam up the center panel (had to seam mine up a bit far – didn’t want the ladies poking out too much!!).
I will say that I’m a bit worried with how much the Ella Rae Bamboo Silk will stretch. I think a little more length will be fine, but I can see how it would want to stretch a bit more, so we’ll see with wear. I was also worried about the color, but think it turned out fantastic, especially with the beads – without them the color would have definitely washed me out.
All around a fabulous knit.
I also knit up aHelmet Liner for my dad’s Christmas gift while on a business trip. Its a quick knit and I think he’ll love it!!
Pattern: Based on the December Lights Tam by Mary Jane Mucklestone (Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts 2007)
Needles: US1 and US2 Addi Turbo Circs
Yarn: ShiBuiKnits Sock in Bark – a little less than 1 skein
Mods: Obviously I didn’t knit this up in fair isle. I used the pattern as a guide on the construction of the Tam. I was also off a little in the row gauge (I had 2 more/inch), so I added 7 rows to the body and another 4 to the decrease rounds, just spaced them out equally.
I love how this turned out! The sock yarn was a delight to knit with (and I still have one skein left so I guess I’ll be buying more Shibui!!). My good friend was flipping through the IK Holiday Gifts issue and said that the tam would be so cute in brown or black, and that she had seen on at Nordstrom’s or something and that it was very expensive. Perfect gift for her! Plus I think it looks really great on her, and I love the color!
I finished the Adult’s Only Kitty Hat over the weekend. I was going to make the Devil hat, but was feeling a bit more frisky rather than naughty when I got to the ears, so I switched it up I started to panic thinking I wasn’t going to have enough yarn, but luckily I squeaked by with just enough! I ended up using some yarn I had frogged and thought I wouldn’t need. I did learn a very valuable lesson – never throw away frogged yarn! Anyway, here she is:
Sorry its so dark…I tried to lighten it up a bit with my photo editor. This was my first attempt at a hat, and using DPN’s, so I thought it turned out pretty cute. It’s also a bit big, and then I remembered that I have a small head, so I’ll have to knit smaller next time. I also mastered continental knitting with this project, which I’m thrilled about. Seed stitch and regular purling and knitting is so much faster with continental. I will say that I find it much harder to k2tog and knit an I-cord with continental, so I’ll stick with regular old English style for that…I haven’t taken a photo of myself in this hat yet cause I look like crap today, but will at some point.
I also cast on the Trio Knit Tote Bag last night. I originally cast onto the size US11 24″ circular needles recommended in the pattern, but found that it was too loose for my liking. I think that’s mainly because I was knitting continental, as that tends to be looser anyway. So I moved down to US10 circs. I also found that the number of cast-on stitches wasn’t enough for me, not sure why exactly, but I was having trouble joining the piece, so I cast on an additional 20 (99 total). Plus I would like a bigger bag for my knitting :-p I think I might make this bag a bit deeper than the pattern calls for, which will of course require a buy more yarn! Trio by Crystal Palace is so much fun to knit with.
Buying yarn off the Internet is addictive. I’ve had to stop myself on several occasions where I have added yarn to my cart, then realized I already have 3 projects in the works, with another 2 ready to go, so I don’t need any more! I’ve decided I’ll buy yarn for a project with every (or every other) paycheck . Now that I have that out of the way, I did order Reynold’s Lopi Light in Navy for Lelah. That will be my first shirt/tank/sweater of any kind to knit for myself, so pray for me. I also wanted to purchase yarn for Sahara, but Tilli Thomas was waaaaay to expensive (but gorgeous!!), so I think I’ll go with Jaggerspun Zephyr DK, like this knitter has done which turned out gorgeous! I’m thinking Ruby, and I’ll probably bead it myself, just to be cost effective.
And last but not least, I bought some fabric to line my Striped bamboo Handle Bag from Joanne’s over the weekend. I found it in the “Fabric Remnant” bin – Basic Classic Twill in an off-white/cream. I’ll try and finish that up this weekend.